Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Building the Sandbox: The G-Series modules

I'm looking for a quick post tonight, so I've chosen the G-Series modules, which shouldn't take too long to place in the campaign.  I've said that before, when I looked at the S-series, and that post took me ages to write, but I'm confident I can knock this one out pretty quickly.

G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief


The premise for this one is pretty simple: bands of giants have been raiding the "lands of men", and the PCs have been tasked with taking the fight to them, starting with the Hill Giants.  The party are supposedly supposed to return and "face the headsman's axe" if they fail to deal with the Hill Giants, which is certainly something I'd make optional.  Maybe I'd use that if they somehow got thrown in jail while in the nations being threatened (mostly Sterich and the Yeomanry).  The steading of the Hill Giants isn't given a specific location in the original module as far as I can tell.  The World of Greyhawk boxed set places it within the Jotens, a spur of mountains just north of the Yeomanry.  The GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders compilation module places it in the Jotens as well, so everything is satisfyingly consistent so far.

G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl


The following adventure takes the PCs to the icy rift of the Frost Giants, said in the original module to be "some dozens of leagues north and west" of the Hill Giant steading. World of  Greyhawk contradicts this by placing it to the southwest, in the Crystalmist Mountains.  Queen of the Spiders is consistent with the latter placement, so I guess that's what I'll have to go with.  It does seem odd for this module not to be the northernmost of the three, though.

G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King


The final module in this series, before it transitions into the D-series, sees the PCs taking the fight to the Fire Giants.  The Fire Giant Hall isn't situated in the original module, but as usual World of Greyhawk has us covered: it's southeast of the last adventure, in the mountain range known as the Hellfurnaces.  Again, Queen of the Spiders keeps this consistent, which is what I like to see.  I'm already irritated by the discrepancy in the placement of G2, I don't need any more inconsistencies creeping in.

GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders


I do need to quickly note Queen of the Spiders, which is a compilation and expansion of the G-series, D-series, and Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits.  The module is part of a mega-campaign of sorts that ties it together with T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil and A1-4 Scourge of the Slave LordsQueen of the Spiders positions the drow as the masterminds behind the Slave Lords as well as the Giants.  Clues found after the defeat of the Slave Lords will lead the PCs to Sterich, where they will find that the nation is being ravaged by giants.  There's also the matter of a large black dome that's appeared over the city of Istivin, which is actually a growing portal that the drow goddess Lolth plans to use to invade Oerth.

I'll include all of this stuff, but only if the PCs don't deal with the giants and drow earlier in the campaign; I do want to introduce things in some sort of rough publication order.  I'll have the PCs hear stories about the giant attacks, and leave it up to them as to whether they want to deal with the problem.  If they don't get around to it, and I end up running T1-4 and A1-4 before anyone defeats the drow, then I'll run the G-series using the set-up here.  It's also very possible that PCs might beat the G-series without bothering to venture into the D-series, in which case I'd have to find a way to segue from A1-4 into D1 (possibly by inserting a Stone Giant adventure into the mix).

No comments:

Post a Comment