Tuesday, August 06, 2013

The Score

In the interests of sheer antagonism, I am turning this blog into a competition between myself and Messrs Jackson and Livingstone.  It's only fair; they've been killing me for decades now, and it's about time I got a chance to beat them in a contest of my own devising. 

Here's how it's going to work: each time I fail to complete a book, the author of said book gets a number of points equal to my Initial Skill minus 6, i.e. if my Skill is 7, they get 1 point for killing me; if my Skill is 12 they get 6 points.  Likewise, if I succeed in completing a book I get a number of points equal to 13 minus my Initial Skill; meaning the stronger my character is, the less points I get.  I'm also giving myself a bonus point if I complete a book on my first attempt.  Ian and Steve will each get their own separate score, only getting full points on the books they individually wrote.  For the book they co-wrote they split the points evenly.  And yes, I know that there are a whole bunch of other writers on the series.  I'm counting those books as being co-written by Steve and Ian: it's what they would want!

Now I need to come clean: I have played The Warlock of Firetop Mountain a bazillion times.  I know the entire book backwards and forwards and I can draw a map of it off by heart.  This was not an entirely fair contest, though it could have gone against me if my Skill score had been lower.  Never mind, Steve and Ian will get their revenge in due course.

And so, after round 1 the tally is:

No comments:

Post a Comment